Monday, January 08, 2007

The Big Box & Shopping.

The Postman delivered a big box to my doorstep on Saturday morning. My cousin in Texas had alerted me to its coming and told me it would contain Christmas gifts for the children and some hats that belonged to my late grandmother.

When the box arrived, we were already running late for an appointment to meet friends at church and put away the Christmas decorations. But I was surprised to see the size of the box, and like a kid at Christmas, I wanted to tear into it right away!
I hurriedly opened it and found the gifts for the children, some hats, a hat box, a gift bag, and bundles of papers. I would need to investigate more later. For now, I closed the box in a room away from the cat and off we went. I'm sorry, but as I was left in suspense, so I will be leaving you to wonder about the contents. I still have not been able to take photos, but it is much more exciting than the two-ply bath tissue advertised on the outside.

In the afternoon we had friends over for fun and games. I got the big idea that it might be fun to have the mom and eldest daughter join me in some leisurely shopping at the nearest Good Will store.

As the store is very close by, I am able to stop in briefly to make donations occasionally. But I do not find shopping there with my children 'helping' to be an enjoyable way to spend the day. Shopping with another mom and a teen, however seemed very pleasant indeed.

It had been years since I had been able to shop there. I found three nicely knitted sweaters with the yarn still in excellent condition. I plan to unravel two of them and knit a sweater for The Artist and a short-sleeved top for myself. I have heard of doing this, but I have not done it myself before, so it is a grand experiment of sorts. The third sweater looked like a knitting tutorial and I love the colors. So that one I will keep as it to wear.

To my surprise I also found a dress. I owe many thanks to Des Quilter for helping me. She found that the original retail tags were still on the sleeve. It was overpriced, but it was still a nice, ankle length, deep dark pine/olive green dress of soft flowing material. And it fit! I'm thrilled that the Good Will store was offering this dress at half the Good Will price, so I was able to buy it for 10% of the original retail price.
If I can find the perfect dark green hat this will make a delightful Easter outfit!

1 comment:

Presbytera said...

What a nice find and what a fun way to find it : )