It was in bad shape, falling apart at the fold, yellowed with age and dog-eared at the edges. It was printed by American Thread Company of West Broadway in New York city, but alas, the section that might contain the date had crumbled away. More pages crumbled to dust in my fingers. Other pages I though would be interesting to share. For instance, did you know
"Beading is Back in Fashion"?
All these photos are from pattern book #18. The closest I can date the booklet is late 1940s or early 1950s. I don't know how often it was published. I did find someone has book # 61 from 1948 for sale on Ebay.
And To the Ladies...Frills & Furbelows. There's a word I bet you have not used in your blog! I never thought I'd use it either. I wonder if I've even heard anyone utter it? It sounds like something my grandmother from New York would say. It means frills and fussy trimmings. Maybe it is in the dialog of a film like Easter Parade?

Sew Liturgical, I thought of you when I saw this next one. Sorry you need to turn either your head or your screen to the side to get a good look. This was the only alter piece/communion ware pattern page in the book.
All these photos are from pattern book #18. The closest I can date the booklet is late 1940s or early 1950s. I don't know how often it was published. I did find someone has book # 61 from 1948 for sale on Ebay.And To the Ladies...Frills & Furbelows. There's a word I bet you have not used in your blog! I never thought I'd use it either. I wonder if I've even heard anyone utter it? It sounds like something my grandmother from New York would say. It means frills and fussy trimmings. Maybe it is in the dialog of a film like Easter Parade?

Sew Liturgical, I thought of you when I saw this next one. Sorry you need to turn either your head or your screen to the side to get a good look. This was the only alter piece/communion ware pattern page in the book.

I have been keeping up with my own knitting too. The bolero is done, but I decided to add a lace border. I was not happy with the way the stitches looked at the curve on the bottom of the center front panels. This is the little swatch I made of the curved area with some of the lace attached. In this photo it is nearly dry from blocking. The pearls are pin heads -- not worked into the lace.
The lace edging rounds out the edges nicely. I now have about 40 inches of the edging knitted. I need to go about another 20. I'll probably make the edging longer than I need and keep the stitches live on a holder while I begin attaching it. I'd hate for it to be short (as it was for my little swatch). It will be much easier to make it long, unravel a few inches and bind it off in the exact length needed.


5 comments:
That is beautiful Marie! I love the colors!
I love looking through vintage patterns, although I'm always frightened by some of them. Knitted men's swimming trunks comes to mind as particularly frightful! I can't wait to see the finished bolero
Gorgeous Marie. Oh, and I'm really glad beading is back in fashion...shame I was born 80 years too late!lol!
Marie,
I just love the alter pattern I wish that I could get a copy of it. It would be neat to change it to a cross-stitch pattern.
I love that lace edging, it looks lovely.
Post a Comment