My favorite local station runs a show called In The Garden With Ron Wilson on Sunday mornings. When I get to listen to the show I feel like a gardener, at least somewhat. My favorite time to listen is the early spring when vegetable garden questions and tips dominate the discussion.
I was interested to hear a tidbit about new updated heartiness zones in the contiguous 48 states as a backdrop to prompting the Engineer through tying his shoes. That was all it took to get me on the computer this morning. (Well, that and the fact that the Quipper left the computer on last night!)

Lo and behold, my state is no longer in zone 5! I wonder how long it will stay this way. This site also has links for specific states and the changes made to the map in the last 16 years. I'll have to get out my books to see if this explains why any of my flowers have been languishing lately. But I suspect it still has more to do with the dense shade the little grove of large, mature oak trees produces. They are easily the dominant feature of our back yard landscape.


2 comments:
I have no trouble growing thistle. LOL We have so much thistle that it is growing in the grass and it is so hard to get rid of it once you have it. Living in the country has its ups and its downs. Some days I wish I had a green thumb.
I wish we had at least a little shade in a few places. I'd love a dogwood tree, for example, but they hate direct sunlight. I'd also love to not having wind whipping through strong enough to pull out our bushes.
Post a Comment