Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Liberties With Lady Liberty?

This is a story that happened over a month ago already, but I find myself laughing about it almost every day.

In school, the Engineer (4.5 years at the time) recently learned about several US monuments, including the Statue of Liberty. He was fascinated by all this and was engrossed in looking at all the photos I could find on the web.

For days after we learned about the Statue of Liberty, and even occasionally now, he would strike her pose. He would shoot his right fist up in the air wielding a pretend torch and his left arm cradle a pretend tablet, and exclaim, "I'm the Statue of Liberdee!"

On Dec. 6th, as I was cutting up the oranges St. Nicklaus left in the shoes, I told the Engineer to get dressed while I prepared breakfast. At one point, while streaking from the laundry chute back to his bedroom, he stepped into the dining room and posed, naked but for his socks, with another enthusiastic "Look! I'm the Statue of Liberdee!"

I appeared annoyed on the outside, but I'm laughing on the inside. I repeated my request for him to get dressed!

It reminded me of a favorite Calvin and Hobbes cartoon in which Calvin climbs out of the bathtub and takes a dripping wet walk down the stairs claiming to be Nude Descending a Staircase, based on this reference.

7 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

My sister-in-law came downstairs one year wearing nothing but pink lipstick and proclaiming herself to be the Easter Bunny.

Anonymous said...

Cute.

You'll have to remind me to let you hear Chanticleer's musical piece by the same name.

Anonymous said...

Too much!

KrazyinBrooklyn said...

To funny, leave it to the children to give you a good laugh. :-)

Kim said...

LOL. Thanks for the laugh to get my morning started.

Anonymous said...

MarieN!

Good story. You've got to remember that one when you need ammo, I mean motivation, when he is a teenager.

Barb!

You didn't say- how old is your sister in law?

Barb the Evil Genius said...

My sis-in-law is currently in her 40's, Scottius. But she was *quite* a bit younger when she did her Easter Bunny routine. Probably close to Nathan's age now. :)