I wonder if my maman bought this large and very complete case of Susan Bates needles and hooks.
It is very complete and looks slightly used. Maybe she took up knitting for a short time in her life. Or did someone give these things to her? Were they her mother's or her sister's before they came to her. Oh how I wish they could talk!Inside the case are crochet hooks sizes ranging from 00 - 14, dpns sizes ranging from US 1 - 7, and long needles sizes all sizes US 1 - 8. There are also some stitch holders and a yarn needle case. Outside are some newer needles in aluminum, a set of wood needles, and a set of dpns. Maybe some day I'll learn to use those crochet hooks for more than picking up knit stitches!
There were also a number of circular needles. I have never handled circulars like these before, just metal or bamboo with plastic cords. Most are all metal with a tightly coiled flex wire connecting the two points. And one is a plastic loop that is size US 7 throughout. It is one long , looped double point. I've got to try using it to see how it feels and how yarn moves on it. These are various sizes from US 0 to 5.
There were also two envelopes in the big box. One is addressed to my great grandmother and is comes from Duluth, Minnesota all the way down to her in New Orleans with a one cent stamp. Inside is a tatting ring, a butterfly of pink cotton thread, and some lace she had begun to tat.
I don't know if I could ever take this up. The detail is amazing.
And last--
a copy of the birth announcement my grandparents sent out when my dad came into the world!


7 comments:
How exciting! What a find. I think it is so wonderful to connect with the past in general and all the more special that your are connecting with a part of your past that was not known. I do wish those needles could talk as well.
I tend to use circulars even for my flat knitting. Different yarns move differently on various needles. I tend to like metal circulars. It will be fun to experiment.
Wowzers! That's *real* treasure! It would be great if you could find out their "story".
The bread the artist made looks great too!
What special, special things! A wonderful blessing.
A treasure from the past - how lovely for you to connect with your maman this way.
This is a treasure Marie. Is this your grandma from New Orleans? Is that where your dad was born?
I haven't tried it, but I understand that you can uncoil those tight circulars by dipping into boiling water - or maybe just holding in the steam first.
Yes, Polly! My grandmother lived in New Orleans until the time came that she needed to live with my cousin and her husband's job took the family to Texas.
Thanks for the tip about the metal circulars.
That is SO cool! My grandmother knitted, crocheted and tatted. No idea what happened to her things - I do have a tatting shuttle that she gave me.
WOW!!
Post a Comment