Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Completed Sweater

Ta Da! My first attempt at a sweater. I'm so glad I did this as I learned several things. The most important thing is the correct way to pick up stitches. Second, I enjoyed using the mattress stitch for the seams and I'm so pleased with how neatly the seams formed with that stitch. I could have been more careful with my alignment, but the errors are no bigger that those I usually make with a sewing machine. I will be able to wear this sweater. It has some bulk to it, but the weave is open as you can see from the pink hanger peeking through the fabric. I'm happy I went with a longer length.
I don't want to be caught without a project going, so I started a pair of socks on Sunday afternoon. Here I only have about 1/2 inch of the first cuff done so there is not much to see. Next to me, dd is knitting a hammock for one of her dolls. (In fact, the doll given to her by my friend who has created a most interesting knitting blog). I just noticed I'm wearing one of the other pairs of socks I' knitted in this photo. So comfortable and warm for one whose feet are always cold.

Here is the cuff and about 1 1/4 inches of the leg of the next sock. The ribbing from the cuff is carried through the body but a purl stitch was added so the k3, p3 pattern is thrown into a spiral. The pattern I'm following is for a tube sock. Since I prefer fitted socks I'll hunt around for a heel to make when I get to that point. I'm not sure how the spirals will feel under foot anyway.

2 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

Great job Marie. I like the way the neck looks on the sweater.

Marie N. said...

Thank you! How is your Easter sweater coming along?