Monday, April 17, 2006

Easter Holiday

We enjoyed a wonderful Easter celebration. It began at church where we had such glorious hymns. Following the last hymn our choir sang the Hallelujah Chorus. They were excellent -- it gave me chills. I can't give enough credit to those sopranos!
After church we gathered at my in-laws' home. Mom made her usual excellent meal. My brother played bubbles with the kids outside with a bubble squirt gun and a contraption that makes giant bubbles when the breeze blows. The kids were delighted. It was especially fun to see the 4 year old run and squeal with glee.









Meanwhile my Dad, fil, mil, dh and I watched the Tribe lose. Bummer. But things picked up a bit when my brother and I played pinochle with my in-laws. They are excellent at it and we are not so much, but we all had fun. After the kids went to bed dh practiced his music and I knitted to my heart's content. Here you can see the two socks of a pair.

There is a knit-purl pattern in the upper leg to give more room for the calf muscle. In another couple of inches I'll have another pattern change - decreases to taper to the ankle.
On Saturday we got about 1/100 (or so it seems) of the yard work that needs to be done completed. Dh installed new sensor lights in the back yard so he and dd can play basketball after dark. I got lots of old brush cleared out of our grove of trees. Next year the forsythia should look even better - this is the second year of a three-year clean out process for them. I expect great results. This year we have much more bloom color visible than last year when I started the process.

7 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

You have a nice yard. Is that a school in the background of the last picture?

I got to watch the Tribe lose on a big screen TV at the restaurant where we went out for lunch. :(

I have to admit I'm envious that your whole extended family can get together. Right now things are a mess with both my family, and my in-laws. Oh well, I'm certainly not alone in that!

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I wanted to add that you should scold your brother and your dad for keeping all the musical genes in the family for themselves. :)

Marie N. said...

Hi Barb,
We are glad for the family we can get together. We miss my bil and his grilfriend in California, plus scores of folks in Louisiana, Texas, California, Germany and Switzerland.

I won't scold anyone -- I can (maybe I sould say 'could') dance!!!

Genuine Lustre said...

Marie - I can't believe I have never been to your house.
Glad you had a great day. Our church is lacking a bit in the music dept right now, which brought the service down a bit. I thought about you all up there at Christ.
It was a lonely Easter here -- but still nice. Both sets of parents were vacationing. But that meant we could attend 4 masses in 3 days with no concern for family schedules.

Marie N. said...

Polly,
My little green strip of "back yard" will make you chuckle when you do see it.
Marie N.

Scott said...

Sopranos?? You *know* that the tennors make that piece what it is, don't you? Handel said "The tennors are the trumpets of the choir."

:-)

Marie N. said...

I plead musical ignorance!