Monday, April 24, 2006

Plans and Re-Planning

I've lived in northern Ohio most of my life and I have never been to the Lake Erie Islands. I tried to remedy that situation, but my cunning plan failed. So I came up with alternate plans that now seem more inviting.

Dh and I planned to take a weekend away for our 15th anniversary. I spent a few days dreaming about what I'd like to do and researching details on the web. We found the perfect mix of biking on the islands, seeing the historic sites and visiting a winery on the mainland (something else I've always wanted to do and not accomplished yet). Then when time came to make the reservations we were woefully late. The places we considered staying were booked. But we could delay and take the trip a month later, so we checked that out. Then we were hit with sticker shock! One night in peak season costs more than two nights plus dinner just a week earlier.

Instead we will be enjoying a winery tour and tasting and horseback riding (and I'll spend time in the sauna) in a posh hotel east of Columbus, OH for less than half the cost of the Marblehead, OH accommodations. I have not been riding in years -- I'm looking forward to it.

Over the weekend Dh and I (me mostly watching) took out a dying evergreen shrub from the front landscape. We shopped around for something that would give some color and texture to the house front and decided upon a coastal leucothoe.

It may take some extra care at first, but I'll enjoy the blooms. When they are spent, the rhododendron will begin and when it is spent the azalea will be going strong. By the time that is dropping blossoms the roses will be ready to give color the rest of the season.

1 comment:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

And there you have why Gino, the girls and I have never been to the islands either! One time we priced tickets for the Jet Express. Ack!

We need to put something low in our front bed on the left side of our house. The two bushes we have there got blown out (right down to the ground) over the last two winters by the strong winds we get.

Hope you and the Mr. enjoy your anniversary! :)