Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Tools

I've found a use for chocolate! Just kidding, but truly, I don't enjoy chocolate all that often. I don't usually have a taste for it, so it tends to hang around my house. I'm so glad. My helpful tool is this Hanukkah geld we were given this past December. It is very useful in keeping 4-year olds from vomiting when they take a daily chewable prescription. Alas, it appears the parents have passed allergies and asthma to their children to some degree. That degree is being determined now. We much prefer this to the numerous trips we made to the ER when simple colds became very serious very quickly. I've also heard this phase can be outgrown when the lungs get a bit larger so I'm hoping for that too. I loathe the idea of unnecessary medication. I'm praying for the necessary phase to be rather short here.
Voila! Another useful tool. The train whistle operates in much the same way as the spirometer. The more forceful and sustained the whistle sound, the stronger the breath. This seems to be working for teaching a 4-year old to blow into a plastic tube that is no fun at all. A little practice with the whistle then a turn with the meter. Yesterday, for the first time, he registered a reading. I am hoping that is the result of improved technique, not the meds that the Dr. said needed to build up for a few days to be effective. Tonight we will see if the tickle torture romp with Daddy ends with a breathing machine session or cuddles, prayers, and bedtime.

Two more tools. The sun is out and my garden is calling to me. But today I'm watching two little kiddos from next door. This will not be the day I get the peat worked into the garden soil. Maybe I will get to transplant a few hostas though. I've developed a gap along a hosta-lined hedgerow. There are plenty of them around the yard waiting to be relocated.

1 comment:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

As parents we develop so much creativity in child-rearing, don't we? Gino had asthma as a child and has largely outgrown it. Hopefully this will not affect your little one too far into his future.