Friday, April 28, 2006

In the Kitchen

Last night I made latkes to go along with dinner again. This time I remembered to take some pix. These potatoes have an onion, chives, parsley, celery (fine chopped) and carrots (shredded) mixed in with the egg and flour. I mixed with a fork, but use a spoon to put the mix into the hot oil so you don't end up with too much liquid for the last few cakes. They were so good and I'm glad I made a lot so the kids and I can eat them for lunch again today!

Good thing I'm not cooking a lunch today because a science experiment was on the schedule. Dd needed to determine whether or not air molecules float on carbon dioxide molecules. So my sink became a science lab.

We put about a cup and a half of baking soda around the bottom of the sink. Then we added two cups of vinegar. This fizzed beautifully and gave us a sink about half full of carbon dioxide.

Then she had to blow soap bubbles over the sink and notice whether they floated to the bottom, eschewed the sink, or hovered on that invisible layer on carbon dioxide. By the time I got the camera ready the carbon dioxide concentration was almost gone. It lasted a bit longer toward the back of the sink so you can see one lone bubble hovering there. At the front of the sink there was less baking soda. One large bubble in the front had come to rest on the bottom of the sink.
Next, the least exciting part. Writing up the findings and answering the discussion questions!

Chemistry has been quite fun this year with lots of great experiments. Next year physics should be a favorite subject of hers (and mine) too.

2 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

What do you use for your science materials?

Marie N. said...

The Well Trained Mind recommended a book called Adventures With Atoms and Molecules for third grade chemistry. It is a book of very nice experiments with good discussion and observation points. We also learn terminology with a science encyclopedia.