Friday, April 14, 2006

Slow Growth, Lazy Day, & Something New

Slowly but surely the socks are growing. I'm so thankful I was able to buy a second "sock set" of needles so I can work on my spiral socks and this pair pictured here at the same time. Otherwise, I would be wasting too much time changing from holding needles (wrong size for knitting with) to the correct needles for the project. Here I have one cuff and about one inch of leg completed and the beginnings of the second cuff.
These will be knee-high socks. The pattern is quite detailed with a back panel of ribbing to help with expansion for the calf and decreases to taper toward the ankle. I may have already mentioned that the toe decreases will make for a right and left sock. I cannot wait to try them on.

With the blue spiral "baseball" socks the development is very slow. I did not have much chance to listen to the radio the last two days, but I did do several rows on the sock. Wouldn't you know, I had to frog about 25% of the work I did.
Coincidently, while I was not listening to the baseball games, the Indians did poorly. Dh blames me for the losses.

Slinky is spending a lazy day here. I wish I could join her. In fact, I will in another hour or so. Sort of. I prefer to sit on the sofa rather than the end table. I like to knit next to her here. The sunlight combined with lamp light is great. Slinky is a baseball fan too, so she doesn't mind when I put my little radio next to her. See how she makes herself at home in one of my favorite knitting spots.
You can also see the new yarns I bought. The cream colored and the cream/tan/green ones will be dish rags. Hopefully fancy ones with which I learn and practice my first tries at lace patterns.

I have not looked for any patterns yet, so if you have some ideas for god beginner lace patterns that will be compatible with worsted weight cottons I'd love the references. I was inspired to do this by a fellow blogger who showed her success on her blog pages. Thank you! The pink and white cotton was purchased by dd. She plans to use a wee bit of it to make a parachute (along with a clothes pin and paper napkin). The rest she will knit into a blanket for her doll bed. I'm reminded that I recently learned the Finnish word for clothes pin: pyykki poika. Isn't that perfect?!

2 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

We can't blame you for the loss tonight, since we had to be at church...

Genuine Lustre said...

Oh, you're kitty is so cute. Tabby cats are my favorite and I've had two long term relationships with tabbies -- Kiki and Tigger, may they rest in peace.