Friday, April 07, 2006

Half-Holiday

Rain greeted the dawn this morning. It may have been here before the sawn but I certainly was unaware of it. This baseball fan hopes all the rain is through the area before 3:05 p.m. when the home opener baseball game starts. Because of an unexpected sick day earlier this week we won't be taking the day off school, but I don't have extensive lessons planned either. So it is a half holiday.

Ds's new phrases this week are "I need a big hug." and "Nooooo!, I can't!" I guess I'll take the good with the bad. The latter is most irritating when it comes during meals, usually following a comment from mom or dad like "Eat your carrots." Or maybe in the morning when I say "It is time to get dressed." Or as I write this even when I say, "Hi!"

I have left off the spiral ribbed sock in frustration. I had made a counting error somewhere along the line. Of course, these errors are not evident until the pattern has had time to develop and I ended up having to rip out two day's work.

In the mean time I've been busy with beginning a pair of footies. I like the two pairs of socks I made with worsted weight WoolEase so much for wearing around the house that I've found they are the first socks I reach for in my dresser. The leftover yarn is enough to make one pair of bi-colored footies. The photo is deceiving. The ribbing is about 1 inch and then I knitted 4 rounds before beginning the heel flap. From this point I'll proceed in the Burgundy color until I am ready for the toe decreases. The poor spiral sock will wait a short while. I should get these footies finished on Sunday. Sunday nights I usually have some good knitting time too, which I need for the constant counting required to do a good job when I pick up the spiral again. I may begin the second spiral sock this weekend before I pick up the first again. When I have both socks going I get the job done much faster and avoid that "starting all that work again" dread.

When all these socks are finished I'll look towards some more warm weather wear. I was inspired to begin trying lace with making dish cloths by an acquaintance at LotzaStitches. I like the idea that I can make extra large practice swatches and use them for something. That way I'm not wasting my yarn. Branching further into the summer.... I want to learn how to make cables. I have an idea forming in my mind for a tunic sweater involving 1000 yards of alpaca/wool blend. Before I can solidify the idea I'll need to find just the right red to compliment the grey alpaca. Then the search will be on for the right pattern.
Yesterday was beautiful outside. Dd got to work out her new rollerblades again while Ds helped Dh begin assembly of a basket ball pole.

No comments: