Friday, July 21, 2006

Equipment Upgrade

A garage sale gave me a happy find this week! Someone was selling large sheets of two-inch thick foam rubber (for making seat cushions I suppose). I shelled out 50 cents to get a slab a little shy of one square yard. Now I can block sweaters and other knitting on this slab (on a worktable) instead of pinning them into the carpeting and hoping the cat stays away!

***I have not worked with blocking much in the past, only one sweater. And I would like advice! Do you recommend I make a covering for this foam rubber pad? Or can I use it as is? I have some old bed sheets I could use to make a pillow case style covering for it.

Yesterday I was in a jury pool, but I did not get to the point where I was questioned individually before the jury was settled upon. So, happily, I was excused and I got to get some cleaning done and some knitting.

Best of all, as my kiddos were playing at the Evil Genius' home, I could run errands all by myself! That means I got to stop into the yarn isles of a near by craft store and buy yarn for the next two sweaters on my list. Next I'll make a boy's pullover. The pattern is for sizes 6-8. Even if I make the smallest, it will not fit for another 18 months or so. I'll use Lion Brand Wool-Ease in hunter green and cream.Then for the last sweater I make this summer, I bought this yarn. It is a sport weight acrylic in some of my Artist's favorite colors. I don't have a pattern in mind for this one yet. And so, of course I don't know if I have enough yarn. But I'm not worried because There were several other bright jewel tones (jade, orange, amethyst) to select from. I can add to the mix without worrying about dye lots.

3 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

I would definitely cover the foam and then pin to that. I think you'll find that the foam will crumble away after pinning directly to it.

I do plan to get back to knitting soon - I"d like to finish my sweater while I'm on vacation. I might need to wear it where I"m going.

Bethany said...

I love those colors! I rreallly need to learn to knit.

Jane said...

Okay--so I should make sure I'm signed in under my own name before I respond. *I* really need to learn to knit. (Bethany would probably like it,too!)