Or at least the first harvest other than herbs. Tonight we had dinner salads made with garden lettuce. This is the first year I've tried growing lettuce. After years of losing zucchini to blossom end rot or rabbits and chipmunks I have given up on those. As it turns out the odd shape space I had to devote is better suited to the lettuce anyway. I read that lettuce can tolerate shade. But the lettuces I have in the spot with more sun are definitely taking off, and the rows beside my Florida room are looking healthy but very small. They are behind the mound of chives and some spindly dill plants at the top right of the photo. Last week I planted some more lettuce seeds in the bare spots in the rows so I'll have more late in the fall too.

I did not have a whole lot ready to pick yet. I got up close so it looks larger in the photo than it is in the garden. But there were enough leaves ready to wash to make four salads when mixed with baby spinach from the store. Tomatoes, mushrooms and cheese were added later to make them extra yummy.

More knitting is on my plate for later in the evening. No photos yet as the progress is
slow. The photos would not yet show much change from last time. Maybe tomorrow...
2 comments:
How nice! We keep hoping to start a small garden "next spring" but it never happens. I hope you make good progress on your sweater tonight. Maybe the Tribe will have another night like last night?
Or not. I must have jinxed them. :(
Post a Comment