Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Knitting Lesson

My little artist was taught to knit by my friend at Favorite Apron with a group of girls at a home school gathering about 18 months ago. Since that time she has made a few small things for her dolls with her ideas changing in mid stream.

She planned to make a hammock for one dolly, but tired of that and ended up making that piece of work a towel for another dolly to use after her baths. I relished the chance to teach her how to bind off her stitches. She did a great job, and Honey, the doll, immediately got a bath.

After the bath, while Honey's hair was wrapped in that colorful towel pretending to dry, my Artist felt the urge to start on another project. She has asked me a few days earlier about making an apron for Honey. I thought this was a capital idea! In my mind I put together a quick pattern and wrote it out line by line-for-her. In my pattern I introduced two new stitches to her, purl and knit two together. Here she is working on the first knit row after her cast on. Her size 8 needles took some getting used to after working with the size 13 needles from the bath towel project! She learned the purl stitch very easily once we figured out a saying to accompany it (Thank you, Favorite Apron, for that teaching technique !!!). Then she completed the first four rows all by herself. She was excited to see the difference the two stitches made in her fabric. The apron will have a 3 stitch knitted border on both sides with stockinette in the middle.

When she gets to the waist line, I'll teach her to knit two together so the fabric narrows to form the apron's bib. Last we'll loop on some ties at the waist and neck lines.

I think she is off to a great start!

1 comment:

chaplain7904 said...

Love the pic of knitting on the couch. These kids are so lucky to be home-schooled.