Monday, June 12, 2006

Knitting Tedium, a Diversion and High Caliber Excitement

The back of my sweater knitted up quite quickly. I think in an earlier post I mentioned the sleeves were next, but I was wrong, I cast on for the front instead. I used the grey yarn for the cast on row and beginning with the second row began adding the contrast color in a single vertical stripe down the center of the sweater. I thought I might grow old, arthritic and blind before I completed those six rows of knitting the stripe in the ribbing. It was so tedious I could not wait to be done with that. Now that the ribbing is completed, it is still slow going, but not tiresome. The slowness is now because of my inexperience with the techniques of using two colors. That will improve as I do more rows.

I helped myself quite a bit by taking the time to sit at the computer and write out the row-by -row directions. With the frequency with which I'm interrupted, this is so helpful. I can mark with my pencil the last row completed and attend to whatever duty calls without worrying how I'll find my place. Lots of stress -- gone! I plan yet another pattern deviation or two in the development of this sweater. (These were inevitable as I began with the idea of the sweater in mind, and had to find the closest pattern available and adapt it to my picture). I want to work some short rows for shaping so the sweater hangs evenly at the bottom. I have read briefly one time about this, so I need to research it some more. Also, I may make more than just the collar, cuffs and stripe in the contrast color. I'm considering making three or four inches below the collar on the front panel in the contrast color as well. Mostly because the sweater is for me and I like the way I look in the contrast color better than the background color. I'll just have to wait and see there. The stripe will still be defined, because it contains a giant cable. I'll have to make some swatches both ways to see what I like better.

Over the weekend I was able to complete about five rows of knitting per night (painfully slow!). So it seems I'll have lots of time to decide. Here's the mini progress... My Dh brought to my attention that these are The Ohio State University's colors. That was unintentional, but that's all right with me. They have my permission to use them. I prefer to call the combo. Gray and crimson.

We had a dinner at a Friendly's Sat. evening. My son found the mirror on the wall fascinating and he carefully watched what he ate that evening. That is , until the dessert came. Dad and he were to share a dessert. My son deftly used his elbow to guard his ice cream. (Now don't those shirt colors look great together?)
Sunday afternoon I was invited on an outing with the adult class at dd's Tae Kwon Do school. Six of us went to an indoor range and took in an hour of practice. I began with a rented 22 and loved it. Nice small groupings and I finally hit the three inch targets. (Next goal, get the whole grouping in the three inch target.)

I shared space with a guy who needs his weapon for his job. He let me try his .38 with some kind of low powder rounds. Very nice, but smoky. I was pleased with my grouping. Then he loaded it with 357 rounds. After the first shot he asked with great concern if I was okay! I didn't know the different rounds were in there. Two more shots, with a great deal more counter pressure, and I decided that was enough for me. I hit the cardboard.

Later on I tried someone else's 45. It felt a lot like the 38 with the light rounds. Very nice, good grouping. I still like the 22 best. Next time I'll try a revolver.

3 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Friendly's is always nice for an inexpensive sit-down family dinner.

I like my Bersa 380. I should practice more though.

Scott said...

Congratulations! Now that you have experienced both, you can join in the endless debate of "Which is better? 9mm or .45?"

:-)

Marie N. said...

Rats! I just found out I had my facts wrong. The last weapon was a .40, not a .45. Scott, I did like that better than the 9mm even though it does not pertain to the age old argument.