Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A Lamentation

Today I mourn the inability of people (or should I say politicians? or the consumers of the media?) to separate emotional responses from rational thought. And what more ridiculous situation than the motorcycle helmet debate could bring me to this point of mourning!

It started yesterday when the Pittsburgh Steelers (hiss!) starting quarterback was seriously injured while riding his motorcycle without a helmet. Then all the talk everywhere seems to be should or should not helmet use be mandated by law.

I was sad to hear one talk show host whom I usually enjoy proclaim his desire for such legislation. Through his discussion with several disagreeing callers I learned that the host's was position was formed by the experience of a friend who nearly died in a motorcycle accident. He posited to a caller, "Isn't personal experience how we arrive at all our positions, and make our own decisions."

Hmmm. Make one's own decision, eh? Well, the answer is yes. But it stops at the level of self (in context of adults riding their own motorcycles). My friend getting in an accident may influence me to always wear a helmet. But only when one is governed by emotion more than reason can the jump be made that it is therefore a good idea to make it law of the land that everyone must wear a helmet. Don't we elect and pay our legislators to rise above the emotion of personal situations and govern/legislate from a position of reason? How uncommon it has become to expect that!

I heard a chorus of callers repeat the theme that personal responsibility cannot be legislated. Personal responsibility is what our parents are supposed to teach us while we are growing up. When too many parents fail in this duty personal responsibility becomes obsolete and legislation is all we are left with to try to hang on to some semblance of order...lament...lament...lament...

I fall asleep during football games. Whoever would have guessed something remotely football-related would prompt me to write!

4 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I've been thinking about this too. If I remember Glenn Beck this morning correctly, he was against helmet *and* seatbelt laws. I differed from him in that I think seatbelt laws (and helmets on motorcycles) should be mandatory for children, especially babies. I hate to see a child die because the parent is an idiot.

It also amazes me that a football player in his prime can choose to break his contract, lose at the least some money, and at the worst, his life, to ride a motorcycle. Cowher talked to Ben about this last year when Kellen Winslow was stupid, and Bradshaw has publicly called Ben out about it. But it can't happen to them.... Doubt many people will learn from this, either.

Marie N. said...

Where do you hear Glenn Beck?

Barb the Evil Genius said...

640 WHLO. I can get it even in your dad's driveway, at least in the mornings. Later on the signal changes, but I think their morning line-up is the most interesting anyway.

Scott said...

The more laws there are, the greater the chance that you are a criminal. That way, if for any reason you become a person of interest, they have at least something on you.

I hate helmet and seatbelt laws (and a host of others). What about MY RIGHT TO CHOOOOOOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!"