A few days ago I finally learned how to do the twist. The knitting twist needed for intarsia. (I've been dancing for a long time!). I practiced a few swatches blending two colors of yarn into one piece of fabric with a smooth vertical join. Here you can glimpse it. It has a funny shape because I used the same swatch to practice a three needle bind off technique. I am also very happy with that. There is a close up in the second photo.

Then I made a successful swatch of the cable pattern I'd like to use in my sweater with the color change. What a relief! The back of the sweater is solid color, but I would not let myself begin until I was pleased with the swatches.
So far I have only about 7 inches of the back completed. I really like the new (to me) cable cast on technique and the prettier edge it creates.
This sweater yarn is an alpaca, new wool and acrylic blend. It is delightfully soft. I need to be careful at the beginnings and ends of each row that the weight of the work does not pull slippery stitches from my metallic needles.


5 comments:
Wow, a kid who learns something after getting reprimanded once! I wonder what that would be like....
Me again! I wanted to share this web page I found that has all kinds of antique needlework patterns for sale. There did not seem to be a lot of knitting at first glance but I thought you and others might be interested anyway.
Very interesting, Barb! They do have some knitting booklets in there. I noticed one gives a pattern for a boudoir cap from the WWI era.
Your knitting is getting way beyond me now. Will you help me next winter? I see Barb K is onto knitting dishclothes too. Another knitter!
I can't think about knitting in the summer.
I find it hard to belive that my knitting ability has passed yours. I don't even know how to make I-cord, and someone told me that "I" stood for idiot, as in even an idiot can do this :-)
Post a Comment