Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Shamrock Vineyard

Continuing our weekend get-away:

The next stop was Waldo, Oh where we eschewed the town's famous fried bologna sandwiches (it sounds completely revolting to me, one who will not eat hot dogs or buy bologna for my kids). We went straight to Shamrock Vineyard. This is a small winery and the perfect introduction to wine tasting for us.
We got a tour by ourselves and another couple joined us by the time we got around to a tasting. It was interesting to see the different varieties of vines and how some had suffered in the weather and some had thrived.

We sipped eight varieties of wine and marked on our paper which ones we liked. Rick and I had the same first choice and different second choices. So we got some of each.

This is a tiny vineyard tucked way away. En route we were very close to our destination, but still not sure where it was. This is what we saw: Lots and lots of cornfields. We joked that this must be some sort of whisky wine. Actually the small group of buildings in the upper left quadrant are the winery.

Below is a n example of vines on their way back from frost damage a few years ago. And the super hearty concord vines that tolerate cold better than the more delicate ones. In all I think our guide said they have about 11 grape varieties growing in their vineyards. This intimidating machine is a stem separator. This contraption is a bladder press. The grapes are loaded in and layered with rice hulls (I forget why). Then the bladder in the center is filled with water and the grape juice runs through the slats and is collected in a tray at the bottom. The material left inside is called grapecake (skins, seeds, rice hulls). The guide told us they compost it, and the birds have a field day with all the seeds. Some holding tanks.
After the winery we ate a nice dinner at the hotel and saw Inside Man ("perfect crime" bank robbery movie). Then I also saw Runaway Jury.

Sunday morning we woke up feeling all the soreness from Saturday's trail ride! We walked around Easton to see the art fair and to decide where to eat lunch. We decided on Mongolian Barbeque. It was fun and good food. I would like to take the kids some time.

6 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

So what did you think of the wine? My dh has all his grandfather's old winemaking equipment and hopes to make some wine again someday. The wine we had at the bridal table at our wedding was the first batch dh ever made with his grandfather, when he was eight.

Marie N. said...

The ones we liked liked a lot! We came home with two bottles each of our three favorites.

KrazyinBrooklyn said...

I'm glad you guys had fun. I'm waiting for the day dh and I can go on a little get away by ourselves.

Presbytera said...

Twue Wuv! What a fantastic weekend. Thanks for sharing : )

Genuine Lustre said...

Sounds like a great time Marie. Did you manage to not talk about the kids? We go thru Waldo all the time and I never knew there was a winery there. You should have joined us at Gethsemane Lutheran!

Anonymous said...

FYI - There's a Mongolian Barbecue in Cleveland Heights at Coventry too.