Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Sweater Progress

I've made some real progress. Yesterday I was able to finish the front of the sweater--Hooray! It was a challenge. Immediately upon finishing the front panel I cast on for the first sleeve. So far I'm very pleased with the way it is going. After all the color changes for the vertical stripe on the front panel, making the cuff as a horizontal stripe was easy. I'm pleased with the cuffs. I cast on with the gray alpaca blend then changed to red wool for the first row of knitting. I did not want the wool on the very edge because of all the abuse sleeves can take with going into and out of coats and having moisture from melted snow, etc. I was afraid it would begin to matt or felt. The sleeves are not giving me any problems. The next challenge I anticipate is the neck/collar. The directions say to knit the collar flat. I might do that, but I'd prefer to do it in the round to avoid a side seam. The collar consists of four inches of ribbing. I'm afraid a seam in ribbing would be quite lumpy. I suppose yet another swatch is coming my way.

No comments: