

The Quipper wants a sweater a little longer than most he can find in the stores to help him comply with Ohio laws. My hope is that this will help him keep warm but not overheat when he wears it over a polo to work, to church, or out and about.
I've begun making swatches to see what size needles I need for this sweater. The yarn is very challenging to use at first, but that got easier as I went along. Counting rows and stitches is nearly impossible, no matter how bright a light I sat under. So I will need to write out row-by-row instructions for myself again.
There are new things for me to learn in this pattern too, once I get up to the shoulder area. I'm up to the challenge. More immediately, learning how to work with and count the yarn and stitches/rows while swatching. This will not come together as quickly as my gray alpaca sweater. I do hope it is done in time for him to wear it in the fall.


4 comments:
you go girl :-)
Okay, excuse my knitting ignorance, but why do you need to figure out what size needles you need? Is it because you are using a different yarn than the pattern calls for?
Not a silly question, Barb.
I learned the hard way that guage is very important. I made a doll sweater that can only be used as a doll overcoat because I used a larger needle than called for in the pattern. So I ended up with fewer stitches per inch. So my sweater for an 18 inch doll looks like it would fit a 24 inch doll :-)
Hmmm... maybe a year from now you'll be a knitter too :0
My pattern calls for 18 stitches to cover four inches and 24 rows to cover four inches. If I'm a little off I'll end up with a sweater too big or too small to wear (depending if I had a few more or a few less stitches to the inch.
Different yarns will be a little different on each needle, so I keep trying till I match the guage called for in the pattern.
check out my first blog!
Post a Comment